Power Down Over Spring Break
[Message from the Office of Sustainability] Are you leaving your office or living space over spring break? Here are some ways to power down and help the University of Iowa save energy.
- Unplug unnecessary appliances including coffee pots, televisions, phone and electronic device chargers, and other electronics that use energy even when turned off (aka phantom loads).
- Turn off unneeded equipment such as desk lights, fans, printers/copy machines, speakers or monitors. Before turning off or unplugging your work computer, talk with your local computer support person.
- Turn off research equipment, where possible.
- Close and lock windows and outside doors.
- Report any maintenance problems such as leaky faucets, or windows that won't close or extreme room temperatures.
Have a great spring break!
These energy conservation efforts are part of the University of Iowa's 2020 Sustainability Vision, which includes a goal consuming less energy on campus in 2020 than consumed in 2010 despite projected growth. See http://sustainability.uiowa.edu/ for more information.