Q: In what ways can a campaign interact with student organization leaders before the campaigning period?

A: Prospective candidates are not allowed to contact heads of student organizations until their petitions and bonds have been verified by the SEC and CSIL. After campaigns have been verified, they may contact heads of student orgs about meeting with them to secure support during the designated campaign period. If you seek the support of a student org or business, you must fill out the appropriate paperwork, which is available on orgsync. 


Q:Before the campaigning period begins, are you allowed to ask students to commit to wearing a campaign’s t-shirt, or supporting on social media? ( aka is asking for support through marketing methods = to asking for a student org endorsement?)

A: Asking a singular student to make a definite pledge to support you (e.g. the examples given), that is considered campaigning. Asking a student organization to pledge their support to you is also prohibited at this time (permitted after petitions and bonds have been verified and the necessary paperwork has been filled out).   

However, if you are planning on asking your peers to help with producing campaign materials (e.g. a campaign video with students wearing your shirts, that is to be debuted during the designated campaign period), it is alright to ask fellow students to do so.


Q: What is the definition of an in kind donation? Do the markers I use for a poster count as a donation?

A: An “In-kind” donation is anything given to your campaign of monetary value. In-Kind donations include, but are not limited to: money, goods, and services. Campaigns also may not contact businesses regarding their endorsement or regarding purchasing goods or services until their petition and bonds have been verified.

So: if the markers you are using to make your poster were given to you then they must be recorded. If you purchase the markers to make a poster, they must also be recorded. However, if you had markers at your dorm to use on a poster, those wouldn’t have to be recorded at their market value.

Q: Do business discounts count as “in kind” donations?

A: If a business is donating a good or service to you at a discounted rate, (for example, El Patron donates tacos to your campaign kickoff event)  it must be recorded at its fair market value, unless said discount is open to the general public (e.g. a sale, or any promotion that is offered to anyone).  Business promotions are allowed for tickets to participate in. Each Executive ticket may hold one business promotion event. Should your ticket choose to do this: you must "pay" (or deduct from your spending limit) a flat rate of $100, to be recorded and reported on your spending report. You may hold the event for a maximum of five hours, and may only have at most two representatives in party clothing at your event at one time. 

If a business is offering a discount on a good to promote your campaign (e.g. Java House offers 50 cents off of hot drinks for mentioning your ticket name at checkout), that value needs to be recorded. You will still need to fill out the necessary business endorsement forms (available on the SEC Orgsync Portal -- “Files” -- “2018 Election” -- “Forms”).   

Q: Are campaigns and candidates able to reserve space in the IMU similarly to a student organization?

A: Students are allowed to reserve space in the IMU. However, most reservations require a student organization sponsorship. Students may not use UISG as the sponsoring organization, and may not use other student orgs until they have received support (this cannot happen until petition/bond verification, and after the appropriate forms are filled out).

* I have worked this out with Event Services. At this time, Executive Tickets have priority to set up campus spaces. Executive tickets must provide their ticket names and names of principal representatives to Event Services, and must use provided resources to schedule use of campus spaces during the designated campaign period. 


Q: Are students at the University of Iowa who are studying abroad this semester eligible to run in the election?

A: Students who are studying abroad this semester are eligible to run. A person may complete the petition and bond forms on their behalf, as long as they notify the SEC. If the abroad student is on a ticket, another senator on the ticket may complete the necessary forms for them. However, do not copy petitions or forge signatures.


Q: Where can I find the election materials online?

A: Every campaign material is available on the Student Elections Commissioner Portal. You have to join the page to access the materials. From there, materials are available under “Files” and “2018 Election”.


Q: Are there grade requirements to be eligible to run?

A: Yes, all students must be in, and maintain, “good standing” with the University. Requirements may be slightly different amongst different colleges, but for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS), a student must be not on either academic or disciplinary probation. CLAS requirements: 2.0 or higher, and not on disciplinary probation.


Q: What constitutes a “Senate-Only” ticket? If I am interested, how do I set one up?

A: Senate-only tickets are groups of senators who choose to run together on a platform of issues. A senate-only ticket does not have candidates for President and Vice President.

To set up a ticket of senators, it’s most important to network and comprise your ticket of people that you would like to run with. It is also important to decide on your group’s platform. As for paperwork, all candidates must fill out petitions (with 75 signatures each) and bond forms, all of which must be turned into 145 IMU at the same time. You may send your proposed ticket name via email to the SEC for approval.